Current time: 05-19-2024, 04:46 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Newbie Q: Is ispCP Omega the right tool for me?
pete Offline

RE: Newbie Q: Is ispCP Omega the right tool for me?
You're great value motokochan, I already owe you a few pints. Why didn't I think of adding the domain to my hosts file myself? That was a brilliant suggestion, thanks.

Anyway, with this in place I managed to test many of the things I was after. I now find that postfix is not actually running.

I tried to start it but got an error. I found some document on the net telling me to run postfix set-permissions if this error occurs. So I did, but with no luck.

Here is the transcript:
Code:
root@serifos:/etc/init.d# postfix start
postsuper: fatal: scan_dir_push: open directory defer: Permission denied
postfix/postfix-script: fatal: Postfix integrity check failed!
root@serifos:/etc/init.d# postfix set-permissions
chown: cannot access `/usr/lib/postfix/dict_cdb.so': No such file or directory
root@serifos:/etc/init.d# postfix start
postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by postfix: /var/lib/postfix/./master.lock
postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
root@serifos:/etc/init.d# ps -elf | grep postfix
0 S root     15657  5893  0  78   0 -   758 pipe_w 20:19 pts/0    00:00:00 grep postfix
root@serifos:/etc/init.d# postfix stop
postfix/postfix-script: fatal: the Postfix mail system is not running
I assume until postfix is running, neither pop3 not smtp will work on that machine.

Wrt Master Records, my domain registrar holds these details (for one of my domain) which I need to update:

mail record (MX)
secondary MX

and then there are more entries that I can add manually that look like:

XXXXXXX.blah.co.nz YYYY ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

XXX is just some text field
YYY is a single select (IPv4, CNAME, TXT, IPv6)
ZZZ is again just text

A couple of existing entries show:

google2ff4084676c0289 CNAME goolgle.com.
mail CNAME ghs.goolgle.com.

I presume I have to remove these to bypass google.

I'll have to fiddle with the other things, but ispCP has already saved me lots of time and agony.
In the meantime, thanks for some other helpful soul, I punched these statements into the console:

Code:
chown postfix.postfix -R /var/lib/postfix
postfix start

and voila, postfix runs now. Even better, when I look at webmail I see messages that were sent by ispCP when I created users and I can now send a message from webmail and receive it.

Trying to be clever (but no doubt making myself look extra stupid instead) I added the following to my hosts file:

1.12.123.234 blah.co.nz mail.blah.co.nz

I was hoping that by doing this and installing an SMTP server on my local machine I could send mail to:

somebody@blah.co.nz

and it would show up in webmail and I could also use a pop3 clinet (outlook) to retrieve the mail. While my SMTP server shows that it is sending mail to somebody@blah.co.nz, it still get's delivered to gmail.

I wonder how I can properly test this?
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2009 06:59 AM by pete.)
12-16-2009 06:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Newbie Q: Is ispCP Omega the right tool for me? - pete - 12-16-2009 06:33 AM