Current time: 05-02-2024, 04:43 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
[HowTo] Replace courier with dovecot
robmorin Offline

RE: [HowTo] Replace courier with dovecot
So if i migrate over to Dovcot, when i update to RC6 or whatever version in the future of ISPCP, will it be compatible? Meaning will the upgrade process know i am using Dovcot rather than Courier, or will it install courier again or just crap out?

Thanks...

Rob..
Thanks,,,,
aseques Wrote:Hi, I found that when regenerating the configs there is also the master.cf regenerated and also the main.cf.
To avoid that is as simple as to put prepared templates on the proper places:

/etc/ispcp/postfix/master.cf
/etc/ispcp/postfix/main.cf

Somehow the attachment system is not working for me, so I cannot post the templates until I can put them somewhere (either here or on the wiki)

NOTE: I also updated the wiki so it uses uid 1001 in all the configs
08-15-2008 01:23 AM
Find all posts by this user
aseques Offline
Dev Team

robmorin Wrote:So if i migrate over to Dovcot, when i update to RC6 or whatever version in the future of ISPCP, will it be compatible? Meaning will the upgrade process know i am using Dovcot rather than Courier, or will it install courier again or just crap out?
I upgraded several installations, having completely wiped out courier. There are some non-fatal errors on the ispcp-update due to some folders not find (normal considering there's no courier anymore) and It will upgrade everything as appropiate.
It would be practical tough ,to have the templates for postfix, with the changes in the wiki so when the main config gets regenerated, it will still be working.
I'd post them anywhere I could, but it doesn't seem possible here neither in the wiki. If you want I can pass them to you.
08-18-2008 05:56 PM
xister Offline
Beta Team

You can create a new wiki post Smile
08-18-2008 06:12 PM
aseques Offline
Dev Team

xister Wrote:You can create a new wiki post Smile

I'm already mantaing the other one Tongue
Keeping two different methods up to date might become a hell, and people tends to be confused on wich one they have to follow.
Furthermore, as I'm discusing whit RaTS in this thread, there's no easy way to reload the config from the templates, so people would get confused not knowing how to convert the templates to the config files they'd need.
If it appears a way to do the regeneration of the postfix configuration or at least the variable replacement for the templates I'd be happy to update the wiki in consequence.
08-18-2008 06:26 PM
robmorin Offline

Thanks guys, its not a big deal to modify the postifix conf each time, since there i snot allot to modify to begin with.....

Thanks for the advice and info...

Have a super day..

Rob..

aseques Wrote:
xister Wrote:You can create a new wiki post Smile

I'm already mantaing the other one Tongue
Keeping two different methods up to date might become a hell, and people tends to be confused on wich one they have to follow.
Furthermore, as I'm discusing whit RaTS in this thread, there's no easy way to reload the config from the templates, so people would get confused not knowing how to convert the templates to the config files they'd need.
If it appears a way to do the regeneration of the postfix configuration or at least the variable replacement for the templates I'd be happy to update the wiki in consequence.
08-18-2008 09:28 PM
noel Offline

hi, perhaps i've found a bug after replacing courier with dovecot. I try to delete some email accounts but i get "Unknown error". Looking in the db mail_users it says:

sys_command() | ERROR: External command '/usr/sbin/makeuserdb' returned '72057594037927935' status !

I figured out that makeuserdb is no longer present on my system. Hence, it's part of courier and according to the wiki 13. Remove courier packages... it has been deleted too. The solution for me was to reinstall courier.

Apart that, with dovecot i am not able to receive emails, maillog says "unknown user". I tried quite a lot of things and settings but nothing worked. I'm about to give up and remove dovecot.
08-23-2008 02:25 AM
aseques Offline
Dev Team

noel Wrote:I figured out that makeuserdb is no longer present on my system. Hence, it's part of courier and according to the wiki 13. Remove courier packages... it has been deleted too. The solution for me was to reinstall courier.
You probably purged all the files (/etc/courier/* ) or removed also courier-authlib-userdb that is the only required package to be in your system

Quote:Apart that, with dovecot i am not able to receive emails, maillog says "unknown user". I tried quite a lot of things and settings but nothing worked. I'm about to give up and remove dovecot.

If you enable debugging in dovecot, you'll get a really useful output, here you can find the parameters to enable it.
08-25-2008 10:11 PM
sci2tech Away

To make dovecot work with new encripted passwords in database modify dovecot. conf in
Quote:base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
protocols = imap pop3
disable_plaintext_auth = no
listen=*
syslog_facility = mail
login_greeting = Dovecot ready.
mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/virtual/%d/%n
mail_privileged_group = mail
protocol imap {
}
namespace private {
prefix = INBOX.
inbox = yes
}
protocol pop3 {
pop3_uidl_format = %u-%v
}
protocol lda {
postmaster_address = postmaster@yourdomain.tld
auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
}
auth default {
mechanisms = plain login
passdb checkpassword {
args = /var/www/ispcp/engine/ispcp-dovecot-mngr
}
userdb prefetch {
}

socket listen {
client {
path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
mode = 0660
user = postfix
group = postfix
}
master {
path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
mode = 0660
user = vmail
group = mail
}
}
user = vmail
}
plugin {
}
. Save attached file as /var/www/ispcp/engine/ispcp-dovecot-mngr and make it executable (chmod 0755 /var/www/ispcp/engine/ispcp-dovecot-mngr). restart dovecot and enjoy.

Attached File(s)
.txt  ispcp-dovecot-mngr.txt (Size: 2.34 KB / Downloads: 52)
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2008 05:24 AM by sci2tech.)
09-24-2008 01:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Thanks for your Work sci2tech!
But i have there an Error:

mail.log
Code:
Oct  2 15:21:36 vsXXXXX dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.rc15 starting up
Oct  2 15:21:37 vsXXXXX  dovecot: auth-worker(default): mysql: Connected to localhost (ispcp)
Oct  2 15:21:37 vsXXXXX  last message repeated 2 times
Oct  2 15:21:37 vsXXXXX  dovecot: auth-worker(pysieved): mysql: Connected to localhost (ispcp)
Oct  2 15:22:03 vsXXXXX  last message repeated 5 times
Oct  2 15:22:03 vsXXXXX  dovecot: auth(default): Can't locate ispcp_common_methods.pl in @INC (@INC contains: /var/www/ispcp/engine/ /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /var/www/ispcp/engine//ispcp_common_code.pl line 38.
Oct  2 15:22:03 vsXXXXX  dovecot: auth(default): Compilation failed in require at /var/www/ispcp/engine/ispcp-dovecot-mngr line 5.
Oct  2 15:22:03 vsXXXXX  dovecot: auth(default): checkpassword(bene@domain.tld,88.79.1XX.XX): Child 11443 exited with status 2
Oct  2 15:22:03 vsXXXXX  dovecot: auth-worker(default): mysql: Connected to localhost (ispcp)

There is an "ispcp_common_methods.pl" in the @INC "/var/www/ispcp/engine/"

Code:
vsXXXXXX:/var/www/ispcp/engine# ls -l
total 444
drwx------ 2 root root  4096 Mar 27  2008 awstats
drwx------ 2 root root  4096 Apr  7 11:10 backup
-rwx------ 1 root root 55401 Oct  2 14:45 ispcp-als-mngr
-rwx------ 1 root root  6933 Oct  2 14:45 ispcp-apache-logger
-rwx------ 1 root root   102 Oct  2 14:47 ispcp-db-keys.pl
-rwx------ 1 root root  4208 Oct  2 14:45 ispcp-db-passwd
-rwx------ 1 root root 97063 Oct  2 14:45 ispcp-dmn-mngr
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  2395 Oct  2 14:17 ispcp-dovecot-mngr
-rwx------ 1 root root 27815 Oct  2 14:45 ispcp-htuser-mngr
-rwx------ 1 root root 64301 Oct  2 14:45 ispcp-mbox-mngr
-rwx------ 1 root root 14024 Oct  2 14:45 ispcp-rqst-mngr
-rwx------ 1 root root  7190 Oct  2 14:45 ispcp-serv-mngr
-rwx------ 1 root root 49617 Oct  2 14:45 ispcp-sub-mngr
-rwx------ 1 root root  5291 Oct  2 14:45 ispcp_common_code.pl
-rwx------ 1 root root 45249 Oct  2 14:45 ispcp_common_methods.pl
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Oct 24  2007 messager
drwx------ 2 root root  4096 Nov  4  2007 quota
drwx------ 2 root root  4096 Sep 19 13:49 setup
drwx------ 2 root root  4096 Jan 20  2008 tools
drwx------ 2 root root  4096 Nov 29  2007 traffic
vsXXXXX:/var/www/ispcp/engine#

Tested with current trunk

Greez BeNe
10-03-2008 01:32 AM
sci2tech Away

I`ll test again and see if anything goes wrong. This really must be solved Smile
Tested and it worked out of the box!. Please can you put here /etc/init.d/dovecot.conf? I`ll test also in etch, i use lenny but i do not think this is the problem.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2008 02:03 AM by sci2tech.)
10-03-2008 01:37 AM
Thread Closed