Current time: 05-17-2024, 01:52 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ubuntu 8.10 Install Error
luxsphinx Offline

Ubuntu 8.10 Install Error
Hello all, I am hoping that someone here will be able to help me in getting things up and running smoothly.

Here's the situation: I have set up my own web server, and it is working. My site comes up perfectly, however, I do not know how to get my forum up and running on it. This led me to wanting a control panel of some kind because I knew how to do all these things in cPanel. In the process of looking for a cPanel alternative, I came across this.

My problem came when I attempted to install. I originally had an error with the user & password for the database, but I fixed that. Now I am getting this error:

ERROR: External command '/usr/bin/mysql --host="localhost" --user="motu" --pass="" < /tmp/db.sql 1>/tmp/db.sql.stdout 2>/tmp/db.sql.stderr' returned '1' status !

I've run "ls -lah /var/lib/mysql" and all permissions are set to MySQL if that is off any help. That bit was the only help I could find searching the forum here in relation to my specific issue.

So, can anyone tell me how to fix this? Just ask for any information you may need and I will try to find out. I am new to Linux, so please bear with me and try to be detailed if you can.

Thank you for any help you may have to offer!
12-17-2008 04:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeNe Offline
Moderators

RE: Ubuntu 8.10 Install Error
Quote:I do not know how to get my forum up and running on it
And how did you try it ?
The normal way maybe is to upload it via FTP, create a DB User in ispCP, start the Install during the Webinterface and follow them...

Where is exactly your Problem ?

Greez BeNe
12-17-2008 05:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
luxsphinx Offline

I'm not great with command line and have no idea how to work with databases in that way, that is part of the reason why I want a control panel, but that part I believe I can figure out later.

The problem that I'm trying to have answered here is how to get ispCP installed since it hits the error:

ERROR: External command '/usr/bin/mysql --host="localhost" --user="motu" --pass="" < /tmp/db.sql 1>/tmp/db.sql.stdout 2>/tmp/db.sql.stderr' returned '1' status !

How can I fix this so that I will be able to install ispCP?
12-17-2008 07:47 PM
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Ok, so please post the output of
Code:
cat /tmp/db.sql.stdout
AND
Code:
cat /tmp/db.sql.stderr

That we can see more...

Greez BeNe
12-17-2008 08:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
luxsphinx Offline

cat /tmp/db.sql.stdout outputs nothing

cat /tmp/db.sql.stderr outputs the following error:
ERROR 1044 (42000) at line 1: Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'ispcp'
12-17-2008 08:31 PM
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Why do you use the User "motu" and not "root" ?
Quote:Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'ispcp'
Looks like you did not enter a user ? (user@localhost)

Greez BeNe
12-18-2008 01:37 AM
luxsphinx Offline

I used "motu" and not "root" because that is the name that I entered originally when I setup MySQL. If I enter "root" it tells me:

ERROR: Unable to connect SQL server !

I changed "motu" to "root" and it did not hit anymore errors, but now its not doing anything. It just sits there with the words "Starting Installation. . ." on the screen. How long should it stay like that?
Alright, it hit another error, but I fixed that. I just needed to reinstall the courier package. Seems to have worked. It said "Setup completed successfully"
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2008 07:17 AM by luxsphinx.)
12-18-2008 06:30 AM
luxsphinx Offline

I think I must have did something wrong. I cannot find the control panel by following the link it gave. I believe the problem has to do with the fully qualified hostname. If my domain is http://www.mysteriesoftheunexplained.com and my server's name is web-server, then would the FQHN be web-server.mysteriesoftheunexplained.com ?

Also, the site that was originally hosted on the server doesn't work anymore. I'm not worried about that since it is on other servers as well, I just wasn't sure if it meant anything.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2008 07:52 AM by luxsphinx.)
12-18-2008 07:50 AM
luxsphinx Offline

Nevermind, I did a complete reformat of the server. I'm just going to use Webmin for the time being until I have more time to figure out ispCP.
12-18-2008 04:50 PM