Current time: 05-19-2024, 01:23 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FTP Usernames?
ghost1227 Offline

FTP Usernames?
So I just installed ispCP after trying (and hating) various other control panels. So far I have to say it's the best I've found! I only have one little question... When I set up an FTP user, it forces the username as <user>@<domain>. This causes users to have to log in as <user>@<domain>@<domain>. Is there any way to change this such that the username does not include the domainname?

Thanks in advance!
08-27-2009 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gOOvER Offline
Banned

RE: FTP Usernames?
No, it's atm not possible out of the Box.
08-27-2009 03:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghost1227 Offline

(08-27-2009 03:02 PM)gOOvER Wrote:  No, it's atm not possible out of the Box.

You say it's not possible "out of the box", does this mean there's some documented, but unofficial, way of doing it?
08-27-2009 03:06 PM
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

Quote:This causes users to have to log in as <user>@<domain>@<domain>

Are you sure about this? My ftp usernames look like user@domain, not user@domain@domain...
08-27-2009 03:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghost1227 Offline

Yes, I'm sure, but I suspect you're misunderstanding me.

The username is user@domain. However, after passing the server and username to an FTP client, you are logging in as user@domain@domain (the FTP server requires both username and server to connect... since domain is part of the username, this ends up being included twice when passed to the server)
08-27-2009 03:20 PM
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

Oh, I see, but this depends on the client (serious ftp clients ask for username and host independently). As the second "@domain" is only used to know where to connect (ie: not sent to the server), removing one of this "@domain" would imply that the server can not distinguish between different domain users. Therefore, you would not be able to create the same ftp user name twice (something that the panel doesn't handle).

That's why we do it this way...
08-27-2009 04:41 PM
gOOvER Offline
Banned

(08-27-2009 03:06 PM)ghost1227 Wrote:  
(08-27-2009 03:02 PM)gOOvER Wrote:  No, it's atm not possible out of the Box.

No, there isn't. The only Way is, modify it on your own, but without support and on your own risk. Smile

You say it's not possible "out of the box", does this mean there's some documented, but unofficial, way of doing it?
08-27-2009 05:15 PM
tytanick Offline

hmmm, meaby development team would make this short name features ?
because my username is "123@tytanick.net"
and for example when i want to log in to ftp by Mightnight commander i have to write 123@tytanick.net@tytanick.net as you know - and people look at this with strange look Big Grin
It would be great if there is an "shortcut-alias"

Strange for me is that when i create new user account. the username must be DOMAIN NAME Big Grin
09-14-2009 05:15 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

You can add a user in the ispcp dab, table ftp_users - with a short name.
Of course you cannot handle this in the gui but it works (try copy an already made user or rename it..)

/J
09-14-2009 07:09 AM
tytanick Offline

yeah but that kind of things should be in controlpanel itself Big Grin
Best solution of all would be if:

for example my hosting domain is : koza.net
when i creatue user i should only write in "username" sometging like "john" and not: "john.koza.net" - thats why we have long names - username in ispcp must be as a domain name instead of normla username Smile
09-14-2009 03:38 PM