Current time: 04-23-2024, 06:42 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[SOLVED]Update from 1.0.7RC2 to 1.0.7 went totally bad. [Urgent]
Bas232 Offline

[SOLVED]Update from 1.0.7RC2 to 1.0.7 went totally bad. [Urgent]
Hi there,

My update went totally bad.
The Database and Control panel is working.
And websites.

That's the good part.

Mail doesn't work anymore.
Servers are running but don't accept smtp, spamassassin or authenticate users for pop
I did make backups as described, but they are gone too.

Please help as I'm at my end, even needed to remove the database root password as ispcp config file was mangled.

Please help me sort this out, I don't know anymore..

Bas.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2010 01:59 AM by Bas232.)
12-03-2010 11:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bas232 Offline

RE: Update from 1.0.7RC2 to 1.0.7 went totally bad. [Urgent]
Well I got it sorted, everything is working again.
Could somebody make a very good backup in the update script?
As when it goes wrong all config-files are destroyed without any warnings at all.

The upgrade is dangerous!!
12-04-2010 02:15 AM
motokochan Offline

(12-04-2010 02:15 AM)Bas232 Wrote:  The upgrade is dangerous!!

Yes, it is. You are replacing a core component of your server. Doing something like that is inherently dangerous. As a responsible system administrator, you should be taking regular backups of your server. Even as a less-responsible admin, you should be making sure you have a working backup before upgrading the thing that manages a bunch of services.

Further, I believe the upgrade documentation specifically states that you should make backups before you start overwriting files.
12-04-2010 03:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bas232 Offline

I had backups, but they got lost, very weird as I do not understand what went wrong.
Anyway, I'm up and running again.
I'm a hobby hoster and my users know that, so it's not terribly important if I'm down for a few hours.

Yes I did follow the documentation in the package to the letter.
Could have been something I did wrong myself :-)

But just 1 major problem is left, I used Policyd-weight to filter spam before it knocks on the MTA, it worked perfectly before.
Somehow this one is far too aggressive and blocks real bad.
Somewhere down the line I did a Debian Lenny reinstall of all packages, and started to rewrite the configs by hand.
Works fine, except I'm unable to reduce the aggressiveness of lord Policyd-weight.

Is there some script or setting somewhere that I forgot to do to make it more nice to other non-spam mailers?
12-04-2010 06:04 AM
RatS Offline
Project Leader

ispCP does backup your system configuration every day in /var/www/backup. If an update goes wrong, you still have backups there. We are not that unresponsible, however, we should document it better.
12-04-2010 07:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
motokochan Offline

(12-04-2010 06:04 AM)Bas232 Wrote:  Works fine, except I'm unable to reduce the aggressiveness of lord Policyd-weight.

Is there some script or setting somewhere that I forgot to do to make it more nice to other non-spam mailers?

Check out /etc/policyd-weight.conf, it should tell you how to look at the default scores and change them.
12-04-2010 03:00 PM
Bas232 Offline

(12-04-2010 03:00 PM)motokochan Wrote:  
(12-04-2010 06:04 AM)Bas232 Wrote:  Works fine, except I'm unable to reduce the aggressiveness of lord Policyd-weight.

Check out /etc/policyd-weight.conf, it should tell you how to look at the default scores and change them.

That is the problem, there is no configuration file in Debian Lenny.
Or I'm overlooking something.
As I also read the website of the maken, that it should be in "/usr/local/bin/policyd-weight defaults" but nothing there either.

Looks to me Debian uses defaults but no config-file, anybody a clue? Or that has a config that I could try to use?

Thanks.
12-05-2010 12:07 AM
Bas232 Offline

Update, thanks for the /etc remark about the config, found a solution for that too!
wget http://policyd-weight.org/policyd-weight.conf.sample

Then cp policyd-weight.conf.sample /etc/policyd-weight.conf

Editted the Reject line from score 1 to 3 and my problem is solved!!

Thanks a lot guys for the indirect help, as it did solve my last and final problem too.

Still find it silly that Debian doesn't put the config in /etc at all, only a manual that holds so many keys that it's hard to make out what to do.

However, it would be nice if people could make white-black lists via their mailbox config just as Confixx can, maybe a hint for the future?
12-05-2010 01:58 AM
motokochan Offline

(12-05-2010 01:58 AM)Bas232 Wrote:  However, it would be nice if people could make white-black lists via their mailbox config just as Confixx can, maybe a hint for the future?

That would be a bit tricky with policyd-weight. Using AMaViSd-new, it would be possible.
12-06-2010 09:53 AM
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

RE: [SOLVED]Update from 1.0.7RC2 to 1.0.7 went totally bad. [Urgent]
(12-05-2010 01:58 AM)Bas232 Wrote:  Update, thanks for the /etc remark about the config, found a solution for that too!
wget http://policyd-weight.org/policyd-weight.conf.sample

Then cp policyd-weight.conf.sample /etc/policyd-weight.conf

The proper way to do it is to just run:
Code:
policyd-weight defaults > /etc/policyd-weight.conf

This is, running "policyd-weight defaults" already outputs the default configuration (and is better because it will exactly match your version, whereas a downloaded config file may not match).
12-07-2010 09:26 PM