Current time: 04-17-2024, 02:19 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Secondary DNS
arpoodle Offline

Secondary DNS
I've already got a Secondary DNS account with Dyndns.org

The only options I have for using that is to set the master IP, which I have done.

Will this work with the DNS configuration as I have in ISPCP?

I've set the secondary IP address in the /etc/ispcp/ispcp.conf but I'm not convinced it's working.

Any advice?

tia

a
12-25-2010 12:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

RE: Secondary DNS
(12-25-2010 12:54 AM)arpoodle Wrote:  I've already got a Secondary DNS account with Dyndns.org

The only options I have for using that is to set the master IP, which I have done.

Will this work with the DNS configuration as I have in ISPCP?

I've set the secondary IP address in the /etc/ispcp/ispcp.conf but I'm not convinced it's working.

Any advice?

tia

a

No ... not out of the box.
I don't know what kind of protocol dyndns uses for domain zone propagation - but for sure it's not a standard one i think.
Maybe they implemented something like the "supermaster" functionality available in powerdns... but to be honest - i don't know exactly.

But i can say for sure that normally secondary name servers do need to have an entry for every zone they're responsible for and of course a lot more..

So only the IP won't be enough.
12-30-2010 12:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
motokochan Offline

(12-30-2010 12:57 AM)ephigenie Wrote:  But i can say for sure that normally secondary name servers do need to have an entry for every zone they're responsible for and of course a lot more..

From what I can tell with DynDNS' support pages, you tell it the zone name and provide the IP of the master. There is possibly a way to handle this configuration via an API, but as long as you can set the NS records correctly, BIND should be able to send notifications when the zone updates. Of course, you'd have to add the zones manually to your account with DynDNS.
12-30-2010 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

(12-30-2010 11:36 AM)motokochan Wrote:  
(12-30-2010 12:57 AM)ephigenie Wrote:  But i can say for sure that normally secondary name servers do need to have an entry for every zone they're responsible for and of course a lot more..

From what I can tell with DynDNS' support pages, you tell it the zone name and provide the IP of the master. There is possibly a way to handle this configuration via an API, but as long as you can set the NS records correctly, BIND should be able to send notifications when the zone updates. Of course, you'd have to add the zones manually to your account with DynDNS.

If you actually can set the zone name + the master ip - everything should be standard compliant. If you set the ip of dyndns as the secondary ip in ispcp the zone files of all new generated zones should include this ip as a valid NS IP - and as such, it will get notifications about changed / updated zones .
12-30-2010 08:32 PM
arpoodle Offline

(12-30-2010 08:32 PM)ephigenie Wrote:  If you actually can set the zone name + the master ip - everything should be standard compliant. If you set the ip of dyndns as the secondary ip in ispcp the zone files of all new generated zones should include this ip as a valid NS IP - and as such, it will get notifications about changed / updated zones .

The key here is "all NEW generated zones" which suggests I need to create the existing zoneson the secondary DNS manually?

a
12-30-2010 11:27 PM
micamobia Offline

Odśnieżanie dachów
Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Very helpful information particularly the last part :) Usługi wysokościowe I care for such info much. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and good luck.
07-26-2011 06:25 PM